is PIP worth it for you?

Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Let

p = total price of PIP pass, @ $250.17

q = total price of 2-Day and Kickoff Party pass, @ $125.10

c = cost per beer, @ $4/beer + $1 tip (we are assuming you're not a stingy bastard) = $5/beer.

a = rate of beer consumption, assumed in this first example to be 3 beers/hr. or 1 every 20 mintes.

t(fri) = 5.5 hr.
t(sat) = 9.5 hr.
t(sun) = 9.5 hr.

in summation, total time, t(tot) = 24.5 hr.

Then,

a * t(tot) = number of beers drank during entire three days = B
3 beers/hr. * 24.5 hr. = 73.5 beers, or 3 cases of beer = B

B * c = Total price had beers been purchased at regular pass price. = A
73.5 beers * $5/beer = $367.5 = A (this is the cost of alcohol only.)

q + A = $492.60 >> $250.17 = p
You save $242.43.

Adjusting a to the much more modest and realistic 2 beers per hour:

B = 49 (2 cases of beer)
A = $245 (the valuation of the alcohol drank had it been purchased at regular festival prices.)

q + A = $370.10 > $250.17 = p
You save $119.93.

Again, A is the cost of alcohol drank ONLY.
Music, food, private restrooms, and line of sight on your fave fest acts are icing on the cake if you drink enough.

Let's say you're sort of a lightweight. Friday night, you plan on drinking maybe one or two beers. Saturday, you may drink 4 beers. Sunday, you decide to go balls out and drink 5 bevvys over the course of the day.

11 beers are $55.00 in our valuation.

This added to total spent on beer + regular passes is $180.10.

q + A = $180.10 < $250.17 = p

The difference between the two is $70 and takes into account everything but alcohol. Up to you to decide if having ready access to restrooms, a ringside seat and free food (plus some swag) is worth it for 70 extra dollars.

It is left as an exercise to the reader to calculate their individual values for a.
FUN FUN FUN

boom

Replies to This Posting

1. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 8:52 AM

wooow this is like the smartest thing I've ever read on here.

2. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I drink you think too mush, Henry... :P

3. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM

that's a lot of drinking, no?

4. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 9:17 PM

Given that we're not stingy bastards, one must assume that a PIP would also tip on beer already paid for. Ergo:
    t = PIP tips
    t = B * $1 = $73.50
    p + t = $250.17 + $73.50
    q + A = $492.60 >> p + t = $323.67

So it's still a deal, even if you're nice to the staff.
    Always be nice to the staff.

5. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:27 PM

The tip amount per beer i already factored previously into c.

Tipping is good.
    FUN FUN FUN

boom

6. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:57 PM

thanks for this. nice to have it written up, in my head I had calculated that it'd be a perfect deal and I'd break even, now I realize I'm making out like a bandit.

7. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 3:09 PM

Last year, PIP was fantastic. This year, I gotta say "meh." Chipotle burritos for all three days and a single choice for beer?!?!?! At least last year we got to sample a couple of different Austin restaurants rather than coolers full of burritos. For the increase in price, it was definitely not worth the while this year.

8. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:43 PM

Most of the people I talked to didn't even get drunk off the light crap on Friday or Saturday. Sunday I got a good buzz but I also managed to get free drink tickets all over the place. Last year I was more drunk by 1pm Saturday than I was all weekend this year.

The food coupons said they could be used at any vendor and then if you tried to use them after Friday all the vendors turned you away because they were not getting paid back. The burritos had so much rice in them that it made it even harder to get wasted.

PiP was worth it last year, this year I could have had a better time without it. I will get it next year if they are more open with what you're buying into. I would like to know what beer is going to be there, what food vendors etc.. etc.. I would have been fine with a couple of tacate's and the free drink tickets that you could get from booths and bands that are too old to drink now. (which was the weird theme of the weekend)

9. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM

i didnt really get drunk, i tried like hell. Maybe the beer came from Oklahoma

blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla

10. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 9:04 PM

I'm like, right down to the wire on this one. To pull the trigger or not to pull the trigger?

11. RE: is PIP worth it for you?

Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:53 PM

My wife and brothers all bought PIP tickets... we figure even if you don't necessarily break even with food/drink, it offers an overall better experience. swag, private restrooms, special viewing area. It's a lot of money, but if you can swing it, most people would say go for it.

12. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM

I did it. I feel good about it. Let's see what's in store!

13. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I gotta have my whisky. Liquor is quicker.

14. Re: is PIP worth it for you?

Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 9:45 AM

considering how the last time i went, i spent 150/day on beer, i'd say it's already made up for itself. especially given how there's an extra full day this year.... yeah i'm pleased with my purchase.
    It ain't easy bein sleazy