Goin' Green

Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 2:26 PM

How are you getting to the festival? I want to encourage everyone to investigate carpooling, biking, walking.. anything that helps the environment.

What other suggestions do you have?

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Goin' Green

Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:56 PM

totally carpooling. or hitchhiking!

2. Moderator

RE: Goin' Green

Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I plan on starting a cross country run Forrest Gump style.

3. RE: Goin' Green

Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I'm going to be coming to the festival from Albuquerque, NM. I found this article on travelling green from discovery.com

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tech-transport/plane-train-automobile-travel.html

still not sure how I will travel to get there....

4. Moderator

Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 10:58 AM

patton wrote:
    I'm going to be coming to the festival from Albuquerque, NM. I found this article on travelling green from discovery.com

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tech-transport/plane-train-automobile-travel.html

Great article. If enough people carpooled in a Prius (rent one, unlimited miles) it would have the smallest impact on emissions. So grab some friends and start road trippin'. Shoot some footage along the way and send it to us, we'd love to see how out of towners are making the trek to FFF.

Packing in a Prius Beats the Bus

"Driving in a Prius (or another car that gets similar fuel economy, like many modern diesel's do) and sharing that car with three other people had the lowest carbon emissions. Going from New York to San Francisco this way would mean that each person's emissions would be about 305 lbs of CO2."

5. RE: Goin' Green

Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 8:30 PM

My friend Tyler and I are riding our bikes down. The less cars congesting downtown the better!

6. RE: Goin' Green

Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Myself and my pal from Milwaukee who is coming down will be traveling by bicycle, but less because we give a damn about going green than the fact that we (or I, he can decide for himself) plan to get completely wasted.

7. RE: Goin' Green

Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Carpooling is the best way if you live too far away to bike. Its a win win situation. You are helping the environment using less cars. Your friends and you get to see the show, and they pay for part of your gas. Not too mention all the fun road trip memories.

8. RE: Goin' Green

Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM

m.holz wrote:
    patton wrote:

Great article. If enough people carpooled in a Prius (rent one, unlimited miles) it would have the smallest impact on emissions. So grab some friends and start road trippin'. Shoot some footage along the way and send it to us, we'd love to see how out of towners are making the trek to FFF.

"Driving in a Prius (or another car that gets similar fuel economy, like many modern diesel's do) and sharing that car with three other people had the lowest carbon emissions. Going from New York to San Francisco this way would mean that each person's emissions would be about 305 lbs of CO2."

Ya... I have looked into renting a Prius actually for the event.... so far I only have me and another person coming so if I can get 2 more to ride down with us it will be well worth the rental fee and gas. I was told trains are a good way, but really they aren't as green as one would think. Last year and this year at Coachella they were giving VIP passes to those who rode the train in... maybe we can do something special for those that travel green from far places too? hehe

Oh and I will definitely film my road trip there and send it to you guys. :)

9. Moderator

Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 3:15 PM

patton wrote:
    m.holz wrote:
    patton wrote:

Ya... I have looked into renting a Prius actually for the event.... so far I only have me and another person coming so if I can get 2 more to ride down with us it will be well worth the rental fee and gas. I was told trains are a good way, but really they aren't as green as one would think. Last year and this year at Coachella they were giving VIP passes to those who rode the train in... maybe we can do something special for those that travel green from far places too? hehe

Oh and I will definitely film my road trip there and send it to you guys. :)

Sweet! That's a good idea.. Hopefully Austin won't be as hot as Indio.

10. RE: Goin' Green

Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM

take the # 10 cap metro bus down red river/mlk

11. RE: Goin' Green

Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 6:53 PM

although not advised, drunk bicycle riding at night is exhilarating, especially in cooler temps.

12. Moderator

Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 8:24 AM

ooowvinyl wrote:
    although not advised, drunk bicycle riding at night is exhilarating, especially in cooler temps.

I think its pretty exhilarating sober as well.. just make sure you wear a helmet and the proper lighting.

13. RE: Goin' Green

Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 10:00 AM

m.holz wrote:
    ooowvinyl wrote:

I think its pretty exhilarating sober as well.. just make sure you wear a helmet and the proper lighting.

Is there such a thing as cooler temps in at this latitude? Bike riding is rad regardless of inebriation, but for those who do enjoy a frosty beverage it is certainly a safer means of transport than the car. At least you will only maim yourself.

14. RE: Goin' Green

Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Ride my bike!

15. Moderator

Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 3:20 PM

lithographette wrote:
    m.holz wrote:
    ooowvinyl wrote:

Is there such a thing as cooler temps in at this latitude? Bike riding is rad regardless of inebriation, but for those who do enjoy a frosty beverage it is certainly a safer means of transport than the car. At least you will only maim yourself.

No such things as cooler temperatures. Thanks to all the hairspray Poison has used over the course of their career, we're now stuck dealing with the effects of global warming. That should give you 'Something to Believe In."

16. RE: Goin' Green

Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 7:11 PM

If anyone else is going from the Rio Grande Valley, perhaps we can arrange a carpool.

This post makes me wonder what the festival itself is doing to "go green," if anything. I haven't investigated yet, does anyone know?

17. RE: Goin' Green

Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:05 PM

at first, I thought this title was an inconspicuous way of saying you'll be there stoned.

18. RE: Goin' Green

Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I'm sure there will be something involving recycling while at the fest? I remember last year or the year before how they would give people clear plastic bags to gather recyclables and after turning in a full bag they would get a festival shirt.... but either way, recycling facilities will help keep the park more friendly. :)