Spitballing ideas for PIP next year.

Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 7:30 AM

I figured there's a lengthy gripe thread about PIP this year, so I figured maybe instead of saying what was wrong this year, we could start by getting to what's possible next year.

First-the elevated viewing stages are a good idea. But maybe they should be set to somewhere more appropriate-I'm thinking near the sound boothfor the blue and black stages. Not sure where would be appropriate for the orange stage. If there were a way to make a better experience for the yellow stage, that would be pretty neat too-but I can't see how. Oh yeah-making the stages shaded would be amazingly good.

Everyone mentioned the food vendors and how it wasn't being honored the year before. I don't know that vendors would all agree to just giving out free food to PIP holders, or even a comping system with tickets. I think food should be a staple of PIP-and I think something has to be worked out with vendors. They make money hand over fist for this event, so they should have some flexibility for tickets or discounts-just a matter of negotiating something with them.

The beer situation is fine. 30 beers over 3 days is a very reasonable number-just be clear about marketing it up front. One other suggestion-don't make them segregated. PIP beers should be no different from other beers. I understand if it were unlimited how people could game it, but since it's already paid for, you're just using your pre-paid to give to someone else. Just send people to the regular vendors with punch cards/tickets or whatever.

With that in mind, it almost seems like the special areas wouldn't be so necessary-so maybe instead have one large special PIP area between blue and orange? Maybe that way you could give the yellow stage a little more love to avoid bleed through?

The last thought is an issue I'd wondered about before, but I'm guessing it comes down to licensing and overall booking fees. I've said it before and I'll say it again-the most awesome complaint I have with FFF is that there's only one of me and so many stages of things I want to see concurrently. Is it possible to record parts of acts and compile them onto a CD or a DVD that gets mailed post-fest? I suspect this would be a great thing to sell in general-but maybe throw a complimentary disc like that at PIPs-that would make the swag a huge add-on.

Just my $.01

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Spitballing ideas for PIP next year.

Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:27 PM

We appreciate your constructive feedback. Seriously one of the most thought out and well constructed reviews of what happened this year and some serious solutions for next year. We will definitely be revisiting the PIP experience as a whole and making positive and proactive steps to renew the confidence we had last year.

We love all of the ideas and they are definitely things we will look into. I love the idea of the live DVD.

2. Re: Spitballing ideas for PIP next year.

Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 12:46 PM

I've been debating on what to buy next year. Regular vs PIP. I felt that the Black stage was just too far away to enjoy it any of the shows on it. Having it near the sound booth is a great idea. The food was just ok, but it was just food to me and didn't leave me stuffed and uncomfortable. I do wish there was a few more snacks in between the dinners. Keep giving out the free waters. This should be a must next year and I was glad to see they fixed it up right away.

The biggest complaint I heard from people that I spoke with is the PIP stage areas being way to far away to see the bands. It was like sitting in the nose bleeds at an arena. They need to be closer. Side stage would even be great.

The Beers - As a first time visitor to Texas I would have loved to have been able to try different Texas beers. The 30 beers in my case turned out to be enough, but I still was not happy to be told that I prepaid for beers. I'd have to evaluate this now for next year since I didn't drink 30 beers my price per beer went up. (Although since we paid for beers we should be able to finish up the card next year.)

The lines for the beers got to be horrible toward the end of the nights. something to think about..

A separate PIP entrance at both sides should be added as well.

3. Re: Spitballing ideas for PIP next year.

Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 1:29 PM