Out of Towners

Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Every year I talk to people who tell me they road tripped from great lengths just to attend the fest. So, I figured this could be a nice way for people who are traveling here for the weekend to get in touch with locals to hang with, answer questions, or help assist in couch surfing.

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: Out of Towners

Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM

I'm coming in from the Rio Grande Valley, and while that isn't that far in the scheme of things, I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to couchsurf and/or get in touch with Austinites (Austinians? Austonians? Austinistas?) for fun fun fun outside of the festival.

2. RE: Out of Towners

Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 11:55 AM

im coming from northwest indiana (near chicago). if anyone wants to hang out, say hi, anything while i'm there that would be awesome. i signed up for couch surfing, but i dont really know how to use it that well. ha. me and a friend do need a place to stay, even for a night, while were there. so hello to everyone that gives a shit!

3. RE: Out of Towners

Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I will be coming from Albuquerque, NM with a friend or two. For other out of towners, there is a website called Couchsurfing.com

It is supposed to connect you with fellow travellers. They offer couches for you to sleep on and you do the same when they are in your neck of the woods. I am not on that site, but my sister is and said its awesome. I just would be careful! hehe

We should have an out-of-towner party.

4. RE: Out of Towners

Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I posted this in another thread but most people living here in austin are pretty laid back.. if you meet some people while watching a band play or while waiting in line and you happen to mention that you are looking for a place to stay, odds are they'll let you crash at their place and catch a ride the following day.

5. RE: Out of Towners

Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I'll be coming in solo from sunny Arizona. I used to live in Texas when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, but haven't been back for at least 15 years. It'll be interesting to see how things have changed.

6. RE: Out of Towners

Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM

still not 100% sure if i'll be able to make it, but i'll be heading down from louisville, KY. saw that a couple of local bands are playing here (coliseum, young widows) and checked this out and now am giddy with the possibility of seeing all this awesomeness in one place.

7. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:56 AM

im from El Paso which isnt that far but its still road trip status.

excited about my first Fun x3 Fest.

and an out of town party would be awesome haha

8. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Me and some friends are driving down from Lubbock. Staying with friends and hotel rooms!

9. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM

I'm driving down from the D/FW metromess. I know it's not as far as the other people that have posted in this thread. I do think it's tremendous how far many of you are traveling from. It makes me think of the time I took a Greyhound bus to Louisville, KY to attend the second Lebowskifest.

10. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 2:17 PM

last year there were hotel packages...any word of them this year?

11. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Bad Guy Zero wrote:
    I'm driving down from the D/FW metromess. I know it's not as far as the other people that have posted in this thread. I do think it's tremendous how far many of you are traveling from. It makes me think of the time I took a Greyhound bus to Louisville, KY to attend the second Lebowskifest.

awww the Lebowskifest.... I love that thing.... I was Maude last year :)

12. RE: Out of Towners

Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM

patton wrote:
    Bad Guy Zero wrote:

awww the Lebowskifest.... I love that thing.... I was Maude last year :)

What fun, Patton. I bet you were a most excellent Maude. You've given me an idea.

13. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 7:05 AM

lebowskifest has more and more severed toe costumes each year.

maybe all us out of towners can have a tailgating or hotel party!

14. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:00 PM

fecalbeast wrote:
    lebowskifest has more and more severed toe costumes each year.

maybe all us out of towners can have a tailgating or hotel party!

i am down for any and all parties/get togethers with out of towners. the guy im coming with is the only person i'm gonna know, well, besides the people here. haha. lets do it.

15. RE: Out of Towners

Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM

are all of you out of state people driving or flying? because I drove to Bonnaroo from Plano, Tx, and it was 22+ hours of my life i'm never going to see again. Sadness. I'm really happy I only have a 4 hour drive there and back this time!

16. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 12:31 PM

lienathan316 wrote:
    are all of you out of state people driving or flying? because I drove to Bonnaroo from Plano, Tx, and it was 22+ hours of my life i'm never going to see again. Sadness. I'm really happy I only have a 4 hour drive there and back this time!

i'm going to look into flying, because i would like those hours of my life if none of my buddies are going.

17. RE: Out of Towners

Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 1:41 PM

fecalbeast wrote:
    lienathan316 wrote:

i'm going to look into flying, because i would like those hours of my life if none of my buddies are going.

i drove to bonnaroo as well! it was only like 8 or 9 hours though. im flying for sure to the fest. tooooo long of a drive and i cant miss that much work.

18. RE: Out of Towners

Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 4:38 PM

therealx wrote:
    im from El Paso which isnt that far but its still road trip status.

excited about my first Fun x3 Fest.

and an out of town party would be awesome haha

Only in Texas is an 8 or 9 hour drive "not that far" haha.

19. RE: Out of Towners

Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 8:18 PM

I'm coming from Birmingham, AL. I'm flying only because Southwest was having an *amazing* sale a few months back. Round trip tickets cost about half what gas would have cost!!

20. RE: Out of Towners

Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:56 AM

Mr. D wrote:
    I'm coming in from the Rio Grande Valley.

I'm coming from McAllen 8)