PiP Bait and Switch

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I mean really guys? Unlimited beer turned into a maximum of 10. Food from a vendor of your choice turned into a Saran-wrapped home made sandwich between certain hours. The viewing stage placement was absolutely terrible. And maybe I was mistaken, but I thought the goodie bags included a Chrome Backpack or Messenger bag worth $120, a towel, and a pair of sunglasses.

To be clear here... The PiP situation was an absolute failure. The whole point of this thing was to have better access to everything plus perks that non PiP cardholders had. I found myself more times than not, standing closer to the stage far from the PiP, and ordering food from anywhere but what was catered.

I may sound like a complainer here... But I wasn't the only one. All I heard while inside of the PiP gates, was complaining. The bathrooms were terrible. The lines were terrible. The food was terrible. The view points were terrible.
- xoxo Fartbarf

Replies to This Posting

1. RE: PiP Bait and Switch

Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Agreed on all points. In terms on constructive criticism...

1. The viewing area setup and placement was terrible. If I am paying extra to have an enhanced viewing experience, I want two things: comfort and a clear view. The angle of the viewing areas to the stages were odd, they were waaaay too far away, 2 of the 3 weren't shaded, one stage lacked a PIP viewing area entirely, and there was nowhere to sit. Who considers an unshaded metal platform an improvement over standing on a grassy hill 100 yards closer to the stage?
    Solution: Some form of device to rest asses on. Shade. Put the viewing areas adjacent to the sound tents...that is the right distance and angle to enjoy the show.

2. The port-a-potties. Putting port-a-potties in a small space that is supposed to be luxurious is an awful idea. I can now verify that the shit of PIPs is just as smelly as the shit of the non-PIPs. Retire this "feature" immediately. Use the extra space for more benches...or hell, throw some couches or hammocks in there. Let PIPs take a break in the middle of the day.

3. Food/drink service. Is it legal for y'all to just turn the PIP into a discount card rather than a weird point system? Maybe PIP gets $2 off at the food booths and $1 off drinks?

2. Re: PiP Bait and Switch

Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Agreed! That the food/beer should at least be discounted so I may go and get a 16 oz. beer for 3 or 4 bucks instead of 6! That would make me feel pretty important!

3. RE: PiP Bait and Switch

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

We asked repeatedly for people who were unsatisfied to reach out to us during the fest and meet us at will call to discuss. We sent emails, FB posts, tweets, etc asking for feedback in person. We also made efforts to overhaul the PIP experience after Friday and it worked. We cut down the PIP beer lines, added more restrooms and serviced them throughout the day, allowed people to rollover their beers from the previous day, gave non alcoholic drinks to PIP'ers without punching the laminate, allowed 2 drinks at a time instead of one.........we heard you loud an clear. Did you come visit us and try to resolve the issue?

4. Re: PiP Bait and Switch

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

J No(ctrl) wrote:
    We asked repeatedly for people who were unsatisfied to reach out to us during the fest and meet us at will call to discuss. We sent emails, FB posts, tweets, etc asking for feedback in person. We also made efforts to overhaul the PIP experience after Friday and it worked. We cut down the PIP beer lines, added more restrooms and serviced them throughout the day, allowed people to rollover their beers from the previous day, gave non alcoholic drinks to PIP'ers without punching the laminate, allowed 2 drinks at a time instead of one.........we heard you loud an clear. Did you come visit us and try to resolve the issue?

I did. I was thanked for my feedback and sent on my way,

That didn't/doesn't help address the issues with the viewing areas or the food service though. I bought PIP based on what I saw in 2011 + the assurances that everything would be better in 2012. It wasn't.

5. Re: PiP Bait and Switch

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:25 PM

sean frackowiak wrote:
    J No(ctrl) wrote:

I did. I was thanked for my feedback and sent on my way,

That didn't/doesn't help address the issues with the viewing areas or the food service though. I bought PIP based on what I saw in 2011 + the assurances that everything would be better in 2012. It wasn't.

To be fair, I also spoke with one of the staff and brought up the food. I was told they did try to see if there was anything they could do to change it after the feedback from Friday, but there was no way to get out of the contracts with the caterers... We apparently spoke to different people or had a very different attitude when we did, but I got more than a sense of thank you be on your way.

6. Re: PiP Bait and Switch

Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

I'm looking past this and looking towards next year. 10 Beers a day was fine for me, but I'm 40 years old. When I was 20 years old, I could put away 20-30+ beers a day so I understand people getting upset. TABC does not say we have to be limited in the amount we drink. What it does not allow is the festival to announce FREE BEER. If they do that anyone who asks for a free beer is supposed to get it. PIP or no PIP.

I did feel that by putting a dollar value on what we bought with the PIP cheapened the experience a little bit. I also felt that if we didn't complain about the TABC limits no information would have been sent and we'd be surprised when arriving. My questions regarding the wording BEVERAGE were ignored as well when I inquired about it being for WATER, BEER, Iced Tea. And as I expected when we arrived they did try to get us to punch for those things. ( They did make it right pretty quickly.)

The Food I don't care about so much. I was at the event for the Music. The Food was decent to me. Not great, but decent. I was not uncomfortable. Nothing they could do as they were contracted and it was too late to make those changes. Next year they should use a different food vendor.

PIP Area- it did stink. They should make it slightly bigger and move the bathrooms back more. Some sort of lights in the bathrooms would be nice as well.

Viewing decks - Were ok, but a bit far back. They need to be covered more. Include a TV or something so we can see the stage without squinting. The Homie viewing area is the best. (But I question is the sound as good that close on the side of the stage?)

I'd pay more for the Homie tickets. They should put them on sale in limited quantity.

They made it right in the end. Most stuff should never have happened, but it did. Time to look toward next year and hope our complaints were heard. I hope the FunFunFunFest keeps the PIP area going. If they do or offer beer then PIP I'd be more then happy to pay and return to Austin every year.

7. Re: PiP Bait and Switch

Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Wiggum wrote:
    I was at the event for the Music...
    Most stuff should never have happened, but it did. Time to look toward next year and hope our complaints were heard. I hope the FunFunFunFest keeps the PIP area going. If they do or offer beer then PIP I'd be more then happy to pay and return to Austin every year.

This. I'm about ready to stop whining about it because ultimately I did have an awesome time in Austin and the bands were great. I think the biggest key is just being totally upfront with what everybody is getting from the get go.