1. MandyStroyer avatar

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 8:48 PM, MandyStroyer said:

Of course, my current fear (which is shared quite heavily by my children) is that the powers that be will make us have to choose between Slayer & Odd Future. SO not fair! I'm kinda hoping they'll do for Slayer what they did for Danzig & not have them go on until the other stages are damn near done playing. That way we won't have to choose.

2. BonnieBlowtorch avatar

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 9:35 AM, BonnieBlowtorch said:

This just goes to show...you can't please everyone all of the time. I think FFF has definitely made a good effort to attempt pleasing the masses by offering a well rounded stab at varying musical genres/bands, etc. Besides, with all the people planning on seeing Slayer(myself, included), it opens up more room at the other stages.

3. cheezyball avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM, cheezyball said:

I don't listen to much metal now...aside from gojira.... kinda given up on a lot of it. However I do like slayer and blonderedhead and am hoping I don't havta choose. :(

4. cheezyball avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:51 PM, cheezyball said:

5. eyephouria avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:52 AM, eyephouria said:

Also at MandyStroyer: I love Danzig and I love the Misfits but I have to agree with you, Danzig was definitely a diva that year. It was ridiculous.

6. eyephouria avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM, eyephouria said:

tonignosis : Glad we can move past our differences. That’s what it’s all about. See ya at the fest sir!

MandyStroyer (great name by the way): I never complained about the price of the tickets. I just said that perhaps not as many punks can afford it. It was just a thought. I know our friends at FFF and transmission entertainment have put a lot of work into creating what we see every year. Sure, I know hardcore wise there are probably a lot of punks who like Slayer. Just not me. My inquiry was just toward the black stage in general and how I was met with no answers other than that Slayer is playing. The festival is a festival with all different kinds of music and that’s one reason why I love FFFF. However, I feel like the black stage was skimped to some extent. Don’t get me wrong, a lot of really great bands are playing. I just feel like there were more acts in the past.

Dr. Awkward: THERE’S MY CHIPPY! OMG, words cannot say how much I love your avatar. And I am uber excited about the David Liebe Hart after show. I am so there.

7. vinnyjfface avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM, vinnyjfface said:

+1. There's my chippy.

8. Dr. Awkward avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Dr. Awkward said:

Im really only interested in seeing HUM......Everything else is bonus.

esp. David Liebe Hart after show!!!

9. MandyStroyer avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:35 AM, MandyStroyer said:

You said, "past lineups at FFFF music at the black stage has traditionally had a lot of really good punk music. One wonder that has crossed my mind is if because of the different lineup this year if FFFF is moving in a different direction musically than it has in the past. The new location may have also put some pressure on them to sell more tickets. Perhaps as many punks can’t afford to go to the fest?"

As an old "punk" myself, I have to disagree with this whole line of thought. First of all a LOT of punks like Slayer. They're one of those few metal bands that definitely managed to win fans across genres, so it really didn't surprise me at all to see them playing on the black stage. Honestly, I think they're a better fit than that self-indulgent Danzig bullshit of a couple years ago, but... whatever.

Second, I've heard quite a few people make statements about the cost of the fest & how most "punks" wouldn't be able to afford it or that it's way too much money for a "punk rock" show. My response to those people is that it's NOT a punk rock show. It's a festival, showcasing a variety of musical genres, some of which just so happen to be of the punk variety. And the tickets really haven't gone up much at all over the years. Any increases in price from year to year have been consistent with increases in what is being offered (more bands, more days, etc).

This mindset that, just because there's an element of punk involved, tickets should be cheaper is just absurd (not saying you said this, but it's a common bitch I hear). Not all "punks" are jobless & homeless. Some of us are business owners. Others might only make minimum wage at their job, but could still afford to spend $150 on a ticket if that's what they want to budget their money for (hell, my 18 yr old son did it on a part-time waiter's pay).

In other words... Slayer playing the black stage doesn't have anything to do with drawing a different crowd because the punks can't afford to come out. Plenty of punks like Slayer & are excited about the lineup. And I honestly know more punks with money in their pockets than I do metal heads.

10. tonignosis avatar

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:18 AM, tonignosis said:

I like you and respect your opinion, it just seemed a little off the cuff to devote a blog to it. It is what it is, in any case. See you at the fest.