1. chimneysocks avatar

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:32 AM, chimneysocks said:

Wow, thanks everybody. I appreciate it. Definitely more helpful than what I've heard from my family.. Now, I've got some places to start building a social life in Austin.

2. jlowe avatar

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 10:48 AM, jlowe said:

I'd add that the various Alamo Drafthouse locations are great places to see movies, eat decent food, and drink beer. The Ritz location has more cult-type movies, including some free late night stuff during the week, as well as Music Mondays.
    Everyone else has the right idea: Red River for shows, East Sixth for drinking. I'm a Liberty regular, but Grackle, Brixton, and Yellow Jacket Social Club (on 5th) are also great bars, all with slightly different crowds.
    Also love the showlistaustin.com rec, my best friend runs that site! He lists instores and house shows there too, which can be nice to check out local bands away from the downtown mayhem.
    Austin is about eating and drinking outside 11 months out of the year, swimming 7-8 months of the year, music every night if you want it, and lots of very attractive people.

3. Pint O'Salsa avatar

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:31 AM, Pint O'Salsa said:

The Arbor is our art house theater here in two. It's up north and it only has like 5 screens but it always has a good selection of bad ass movies you might otherwise miss. Too bad the Dobie shut down, still mourning that loss :,( don't worry Austin is friendly I'm sure you'll make friends fast esp if you check out the suggested hangouts. If you have an iphone maybe checkout the ffffest app. I have a droid so i didn't look too much into it so i wouldn't get crazy jealous. But i mean if it has a taco locator i'm sure it has a few badass places to hang at too.

4. MandyStroyer avatar

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:24 AM, MandyStroyer said:

I'm an Austin native, but spent 4 years in Portland before coming back home in 2004. I must say, I miss Portland quite a bit! Austin & Portland are actually quite similar in many ways. I felt at home in the Portland music scene because it was just as diverse as Austin's.

Don't let your family fool you... it's not dangerous downtown. Not any more than anywhere else! I knew more people who got mugged going out at night in Portland than I have in Austin. Although my ex-husband (Portland native) has managed to get mugged multiple times in both cities. Basically, don't walk down dark alleys, alone, drunk. Don't make yourself an easy target.

maryrehak is right about Red River. It's really the place for great shows! 6th street is really more about college bars, dancing & people walking around trying to be seen & pick someone up. The only places I really hit on 6th these days are Jackalope & Casino El Camino (both serve great burgers!). Definitely go check out Emo's before it's gone (scheduled to close at the end of the year)! Red 7, Headhunters, Red Eyed Fly, Beerland & Mohawk are all good venues too.

If you just want to check out some good bars with good drink prices head to East 6th. Lots of good ones in that area. I like Liberty a lot. It definitely draws the hipster crowd, but it has a large patio with plenty of seating & cheap drinks, so I don't really care who goes there!

Good venues away from downtown include Emo's East (new, big, amazing sound), Trophies, Continental Club, Broken Neck....

My go to website to find shows in Austin.... http://showlistaustin.com/

Good luck & welcome to Austin!

5. AngieSinister avatar

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:46 AM, AngieSinister said:

alamo draft house for movies....emo's, red7, jackalope, mohawk, red eye fly, headhunters, etc. for shows...you'll find out really quick and easy where the places are

6. maryrehak avatar

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 7:20 AM, maryrehak said:

Two words: Red River. Red River is where a significant amount of the awesome venues are (Mohawk, Stubbs, Beerland, Emo's, Red 7), along with lots of decent bars. If you're going to do 6th, go east of I35 for your drinking to avoid frat boy douches/sorority bitches. The Parish is one of the very few good things about 6th, and a show there is always worth seeing (the sound and lighting is some of the best in town).

Pick up your wristband tonight and hit the Ty Segall show next door at the Mohawk. You will meet like-minded and awesome people there (including me, so say hi!), and then you will have homies to hang out with during fff.